Voice Lessons in Asheville and Online
Lessons & Pricing
Vocology Consultation: If you need a one-time discussion about how to manage your voice in terms of habilitation, medication, vocalises, amount and frequency of usage, environment, aging, or other circumstances unique to your professional voice usage, we can have a one-time consultation for 90 minutes. $75.00
Monthly Tuition Rates. Lessons are offered in monthly installments and payable by month, before your first lesson of each month via electronic modes, cash, or check.
- Regularly Scheduled Weekly Lesson: Four 45 min lessons = $180/month
- Regularly Scheduled Weekly 60 min lesson: Four 60 min lessons = $240/month
Changing weekly day and time lessons (not regularly scheduled)/Flexible:
- Three lessons in one month: $225/month
- Four lessons in one month: $280/month
- Drop in 60 min. lesson: $80.00
Online Lessons (click here to read more below)
Online Voice Lessons
Patricia began teaching online lessons in April 2020 due to the Covid-19 situation. Depending on the health situation in the Asheville area, online lessons will continue as required for health and safety. Recent updates in voice teaching technology enable us to get the latency as low as possible by using quality microphones geared toward your type of singing, over the ear headphones, interfaces, ethernet and ethernet adapters, and MIDI keyboards to reach a very high quality/low latency teaching and learning experience that is online.
Options for Online Lessons with Patricia include:
- VoiceLessons.Com – Patricia is a teacher on VoiceLessons.Com which enables song accompaniments and vocalises to be stored onsite. The VocaLoop (™) is a feature of VoiceLessons.com, which solves audio lag issues and enables teachers and students the ability to communicate simultaneously through Full Duplex Audio.
- Internet MIDI – we can connect via Internet MIDI, allowing piano accompaniment to be in REAL TIME with the voice end to end – and then utilize Skype or Zoom (with specific pro-singing settings) for the lesson. If you also have a MIDI keyboard in addition to Internet MIDI this is also advantageous, in addition to a ethernet cable hookup and ethernet adapter.
- Please note that a solid internet connection is required for online voice lessons. The closer you are to your router, the better the connection will be. It is advisable that you plug in to your router (ethernet cable) as we did before wireless was invented. Having an external mic is also recommended, as well as a computer for your lesson, a music stand, and over the ear headset (rather than ear buds).
- If we are not using VoiceLessons.Com or Internet MIDI, an additional device will be needed in addition to your computer, such as your phone or iPad to serve as “the assistant” in order to play vocalises and accompaniments from your end.
- A large portable mirror is also beneficial as well as a private room for your lesson.
- Please be punctual to your lesson as we cannot extend the lesson into the next hour when another student is scheduled.
- Lessons that are requested to be rescheduled with more than 24 hours notice by the student will be possible for makeup within the same month. Makeup lessons may not be carried over to the following month.
- Lessons that are cancelled under 24 hours notice cannot be made up as each week’s schedule is devised with a specific hour of time reserved for your lesson.
The students who make the most progress are those who consistently attend their weekly lessons with enthusiasm and are committed to independent practice and their lesson time.
Studio Events & Activities
In addition to weekly lessons these activities and events are offered:
- Informal studio gatherings for students to share repertoire.
- Formal studio performance opportunities for invited friends and families.
- Mini- concerts for those working on audition or exam portfolios.
- Topic-centered workshops such as Alexander Technique, Yoga for Singers, and Acting for Singers. Past workshops have included:
Gyrokinesis for Singers, Audition workshop for High School Students (including dance, drama, and voice mock auditions), Master classes given by a Master Italian Voice Teacher, and fun activities such as holiday caroling or outings to the MET Opera Live in HD broadcast.
- Experience in working with an accompanist.
What direction will the lessons take?
During the free trial lesson, you will describe your background and experience, as well as sing a piece of music and vocalize. From there, we will set goals together.
You will keep a portfolio of repertoire (hard copy or electronic) which will be chosen to help you accomplish your goals. Performance opportunities will enable you to note your progress over time. Lessons will consist of warm-ups, exercises, physical release, discussion of your piece, and of course singing!
Who will accompany my lessons?
How much practice is required?
What do I bring to my lesson?
Music repertoire folder, pencil, water, or anything else assigned.
What other materials do I need?
A piano or keyboard at home is helpful. A mirror at home is helpful.
Students have the following apps on their phones: Piano App, Metronome App, and Tuner App. Some also have the Appcompanist App for Vocalises and BREATHE2RELAX App for relaxation purposes. (All of those are free by the way.)
Will we work on sight-reading?
Will we work on musicianship skills?
Yes to both!
Discover the services that are right for you.